Saturday, July 31, 2010

Returning to Nature

So the time had come... I had found myself for over a year now feeling disconnected on my days out on my modern motorcycle...

I was leaning into corners, relying on modern engineering magic...and  there they were.. traction control.. sticky tyres, 4 way adjustable suspension and more horse power than a mid 90's supercar, all packaged up in 160kgs..

Where had the feeling of good old raw motorcycling gone ?... thin tyres... twin parallel engines...single disc brakes (if you were lucky) and all the fun and enjoyment in the world...

No, of course I wasnt thinking of letting the Ducati I had longed for for 15 years go,  but I have finally given in to the fact that it just isnt the same motorcycling I had fallen in love with,  and runs through my veins.

So 2 weeks ago I took the plunge and bought myself a 2004 Triumph Thruxton...She had just 2300km's on the clock and was owned by an elderly enthusiast.. She has aftermarket Predator pipes, quite loud, but not obscene, with LSL high rise aftermarket bars to save the wrists, just a little....

From here on in I will post updates as they go, which will include bar end mirrors and a fender eliminator kit, all for that authentic cafe' racer look...

Here's how she looked on arrival....after a quick clean up


 I should add , I have named her Suzie... As my first thought that came to mind on the maiden voyage home was how easy and lazy she was to ride compared to the savage power of a modern day superbike...

 The fun factor was through the roof... For the first time in a long time, I was enjoying the ride and nostalgia, rather than trying to tame the beast of modern day engineering... It may not be as quick, but I am quick to remember the days I was bitten by the freedom of riding and it has all come rushing back...

2 comments:

  1. Super cool Jase. I love your passion. Me xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can completely relate to that feeling... just sold my HD streetglid, was almost bored riding it! Bought a Royal Enfield Machismo 500, the fun has returned. However, not enough power... so now I am waiting on the arrival of my new Triumph Bonneville! I think I will start a blog to document things as you have done. Thanks for sharing. regards. ayyub

    ReplyDelete